niagara/the-old-scow

The Old Scow

Open all through the year to visitors free of cost, Niagara’s Old Scow is visible on the US side as well as the Canadian side alike. It has an interesting story attached to it: on August 6th 1918, the dumping scow with two men aboard broke away from its towing tug. The men, Gustave Luffberg and Frank Harris, in the event of the break, opened the scow’s bottom dumping doors leaving it standing as it does today in the Upper Rapids. It is a marvel as it stands rusted and deserted on the rocky ledge.

The trapped men were rescued after almost 29 hours.

A line was shot from the roof of the Toronto Power Station and they escaped the place by connecting a breeches buoy to the line.